Mar 5th, 2014
5 TIPS for SURVIVING a BREAKUP (and making it fantastic)
Breaking up is hard to do. There is no doubt about it. If there were we wouldn’t have thousands and thousands of break up songs across all genres of music. The songs serve a purpose together they provide virtual shoulders to tear on, ammunition to take out anger, inspiration to move forward, and so much more. But when the song is done what happens? That’s where I come in.
Here are 5 tips for not just surviving the breakup, but turning it into something fantastic for the future:
1. Get it all out. Seriously ball it up. You can’t move forward if you are harboring unexpressed emotions, so buy yourself a ton of Kleenex and some pizza or ice cream, or throw some running shoes on, and cry to your heart’s content. If people are watching, great. If not, probably better. Just prep with some good eye cream to de puff your eyes the next day.
2. When you are done, be done. It is hard. It sucks. It isn’t fair. But the hard truth is that when the relationship is over, it’s over. When you are done crying, you are done crying. If you latch on to the reactions and aftermath to the breakup, there are less chances of you getting over him/her/it. So just take a deep breath, cry it out per point one, and then be done with it.
3. Don’t get stuck on the past. Could you have done something different? Maybe. Could they have reacted better? Probably. But when push comes to shove, the split happened, and it happened for a reason. You can’t change the past, so there is no point fixating on it. You will just drive yourself insane.
4. Get excited about the future. Life is a journey, and every person in that journey serves, and has served, a purpose in your life. Look at the breakup as a scene from a movie, the movie of you, and resolve for a grand Oscar winning finale in acts to come.
5. Celebrate. You are alive. You are beautiful. You are brilliant. It’s time to celebrate all that you have, for yourself and to offer others. When you really start celebrating the little things that make up you and your life, you will be open to receive and an even better partner.
Now pick up the Kleenex, plan a party, and get to it! Life is short, and being single is actually pretty awesome. Just have a little faith in how wonderful it is all going to turn out.
Mar 5th, 2014
One breathe can change everything. And plenty of guided breathes for you on our videos here.
Mar 4th, 2014
Hearty breakfasts don’t have to be heavy. Here we have a spinach pie, side salad, and americano. The pie offers calcium and iron, the salad a plethora of minerals, and the coffee the breakfast touch. Round it out and try something new.
Mar 4th, 2014
The muscles of the back body are all connected. Hamstrings to back, neck to foot. If you want to become more flexible in the legs, start by lengthening the back. If you want to become stronger in the back, start by lengthening the legs. Some great poses for the back body are 1/2 Split, Splits, Parsvotonasana, Standing Forward Bend, and Down Dog, all here with instructions here.
Mar 1st, 2014
March is awesome. You know why? It’s DO GOOD month at I.AM.YOU.. This tradition started a few years ago when I was asked to teach at event called Escape for Good in honor of M. Ali’s 70th birthday. All of sports’ greats were there - Agassi, Graf, Tony Hawk, Mia Hamm and so many others - as much for their athletic prowess as for their charities and projects that inspire and help communities far and wide. It was such an honor to be involved, and it motivated me to make sure that we are constantly giving back, and dedicate an entire month to the focus.
So each time you come to class this month, we will be providing you with a treat to walk out with… to give to someone else. You can pass it to a homeless person, someone on the subway, or a loved one… whoever you think may need a sweet pick me up. And like that slowly and simply do good for those around you. Neat right?
With DoGoody Two Shoes On,